Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Hysteria
Chapter 2: The Burden of Proof
Chapter 3: The World Scene
Chapter 4: The U.S.A.: A Smoking Laboratory
Chapter 5: Some Studies that Went Wrong
Chapter 6: The Propaganda Machine
Chapter 7: The Surgeon General's Reports
Chapter 8: Smoking Myths and the Role of Detection Bias
Chapter 9: Smoking Animals
Chapter 10: Is There No Risk?
Chapter 11: Is Nicotine Addictive?
Chapter 12: Smoking and Heart Attacks
Chapter 13: Smoking and Emphysema
Chapter 14: Summation
May 2003 Addendum: Smoking and Life Expectancy
*NEW* October 2006 Epilogue
Lauren A. Colby
In Defense of Smokers
NEW! A version of "In Defense" that you can print, copy and give to your friends (requires Acrobat Reader. Download it here if you don't have your copy.)
(Right click and "Save As" in Netscape; "Save Target As" in Internet Explorer)
View cartoons and text from an early anti-tobacco tract, published in 1917.
You can learn more about me by clicking here
- Added October 3, 2006 Epilogue
- Added June 4, 2004 2004 Surgeon General's Report
- Added May 22, 2003 Additional Addendum
- Added July 30, 2002 Addendum to Chapter 3
- Added Dec 2001 Addendum regarding California's Anti-smoking campaign 12/5/01
- Added 2 paragraphs to Chapter 9 and updated email address 10/30/01
- Added a phrase and corrected typo in Chapter 10, added a paragraph at the end of Chapter 11 on 5/12/00
- Added material 2/18/00 to Chapter 7
- Updated 2/3/00 to add article reference to Chapter 7
- Added new article 11/05/99 "The Nazi War on Smoking".
- Upgrade 02/99 to eliminate an outdated link
- Upgrade 07/97 to HTML layout and design
- Updated 03/07/97 to add a piece about tobacco control in 1917.
- Updated 01/11/97 to correct dropped lines in Chapter 11.
- Updated 12/28/96 to correct table error in Chapter 5.
- Updated 6/8/96 Added new Chapter 13, Updated Copyright to 1999, Updated Revision number to 2.3, Add note in Chapter 12, Removed item harding and replaced with "A Real Book".